In this incredibly mountainous region, which borders the glittering Adriatic Sea, the towns and citizens were once isolated from one another. Adam visits local trattoria ‘Ristorante Italia da Nicola’ and, with the help of the chef there, discovers how to make an Abruzzo specialty – Maccheroni alla Chitarra – with a special machine called a ‘chitarra’ – or, a guitar! Adam heads into the mountains of Abruzzo to visit towns like Sulmona, home of the chitarra, or Panarda, where Adam indulges in a 35 course meal! Adam also cooks with a local shepherd, and learns about the use of lamb in pasta dishes. Lamb is a common ingredient in Abruzzo’s kitchens, and Adam learns about the many flavour combinations that can accompany it.
Episode 9 – Abruzzo: Videos
Fettuccine with Lamb, Chick Peas and Herb Sauce
Fettuccine with Lamb, Chick Peas and Herb Sauce Recipe
IngredientsSan Remo Reg No12 Fettuccine 500g
500ml chicken stock
1 onion, chopped
400g diced lamb fillet
1 tbsp olive oil
400g can chick peas
Pecorino, to garnish
For the Herb Sauce
Mixture of fresh herbs (fresh mint, thyme, parsley, lemon thyme, marjoram, dill, oregano, sage, basil); quantity according to taste
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion and sweat it out – don’t brown.
- Add diced lamb fillet to pan and brown.
- Add chick peas and mix through.
- More oil may be added if required.
- Cook for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add butter and chicken stock and simmer for 5-8 mins.
- Turn off heat to pan and add cooked pasta and mix through.
- Add herb sauce and mix through.
- Garnish with grated pecorino.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Meal Occasion: Main course