Adam visits the ancient city of Volterra, which is famous for its alabaster industry, learning about the many layers of this culture-rich town. He delights in Leonardo Da Vinci’s favourite dish, Carabaccia, a unique onion soup. Finally, Adam heads to local restaurant Del Duca to better understand the use of wild boar in Tuscan cooking, and produces an Australian twist on a Tuscan classic in his final recipe.
Episode 18 – Volterra: Videos
Penne with Pork Ragu
Penne with Pork Ragu Recipe
Ingredients1 pkt San Remo Penne
1 jar of tomato pasta
1 small white onion, diced finely
300g minced pork
¼ cup pancetta diced small
1 cup white wine
1tsp fennel seeds
1 dried chilli, chopped finely
¼ cup basil, chopped finely
3tbsp olive oil
1 cup grated pecorino
Salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, fennel seeds, basil and pancetta on medium heat.
- Cook for 5mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the meat and cook for 8mins, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the wine and cook until alcohol has evaporated.
- Stir in the chilli and tomato. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20mins.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta as per packet directions.
- Strain pasta and add to pan.
- Serve with a good amount of pecorino.