Adam jumps on a ferry and heads to Elba, an island off of the Western coast of Italy. Elba was once home to Napoleon during his exile, and Adam learns about the famous emperor’s life and his favourite dish: Carcuccio. Adam continues his food journey with an insight into the creation of the fisherman’s specialty, Penne in Barca. Inspired by his visit to Elba and the island’s fresh seafood, Adam produces a rich crab pasta dish with silky pappardelle.
Episode 17 – Elba Island: Videos
Crab Pasta Recipe
Ingredients1 pkt San Remo 225g Pappardelle
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
2tbsp garlic, crushed
1tbsp fresh red chilli, finely chopped
1x 400g Squisito cherry tomatoes in tomato juice, tin
300g fresh South Australian blue swimmer crabmeat
½ cup fish stock
100g mascarpone cheese
Salt & cracked black pepper
½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
- Cook pasta as per packet directions.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Place garlic, chilli and crab to the pan and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, keep the heat down so you don’t burn the garlic and chilli.
- Deglaze the pan with brandy. Cook for 2mins. Add tomatoes and using a wooden spoon to crush the tomatoes slightly.
- Add fish stock and turn down the heat and simmer for 5mins.
- Season with salt & pepper if required.
- Next stir in mascarpone and turn of the heat.
- Strain pasta and add to pan, mixing through sauce.
- Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins