The series begins in Naples, Campania, the city that’s home to Adam’s family. Adam arrives in Naples for the wedding anniversary of his beloved Zia and Zio. His Zia is his Nonna’s sister, and she instantly reminds him of his Nonna, and how she ignited his passion for cooking. Nonna first taught Adam about pasta, and so Naples is the perfect place to start on his pilgrimage. Spaghetti is the pasta shape of choice in Napoli, and Adam explores the history behind spaghetti production in Campania. As more pasta makers began to surface, pasta guilds were created to regulate the industry, and Adam visits the mediaeval home of the regional Campanian pasta guild – the church of Carmine Maggiore. Adam then looks at how spaghetti was paired with various ingredients – most commonly, in the later years, tomatoes. Before tomatoes were introduced to Italy, pasta was served with ingredients such as cheese, vongole, or in a broth. Adam cooks with his Zia Rita, and also uses all the ingredients he’s explored in Naples to create a delicious Spaghetti Napolitana that anyone can create in their kitchen.
Episode 1 – Naples: Videos
Spaghetti Napolitana Recipe
IngredientsSan Remo Reg No5 Spaghetti 500g
½ bunch fresh basil
800g canned diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed into large pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
150g buffalo mozzarella
Parmesan, to garnish
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add garlic and fry until fragrant. Add the tomato and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for five to ten minutes.
- Remove the cloves of garlic from the sauce.
- Tear basil leaves into the sauce.
- When cooked, scoop pasta from the water and add to the sauce.
- Tear buffalo mozzarella and add to the pan.
- Turn the heat off and using the tongs stir to let the cheese melt into the pasta and sauce.
- Serve with grated parmesan
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins